The Skirball Cultural Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a motivated, experienced, and creative professional to serve as a Junior Designer in the Communications and Marketing department. Reporting to the Graphic Design and Web Manager, the Junior Designer will create a variety of promotional materials⎯both print and electronic⎯on a tight schedule. He/she will also have the responsibility of managing the Skirball website.
The position is full-time (40 hours/week). Candidates must be available to work on site at the Skirball.
- Participate in developing approaches to promoting the Skirball's exhibitions, programs, and entrepreneurial initiatives to general and target audiences.
- Update, maintain, and optimize the Skirball website using the current content management system, Joomla, and actively participate in the transition to a new CMS in the near term.
- Ensure that all public-facing aspects of the website (informational and ticketing) are current and meet content and user needs congruent with an existing design aesthetic appropriate for Skirball audiences.
- Design and produce online ads, both static and animated, to a wide variety of specifications.
- Design and produce print ads and other print materials, such as brochures, postcards, gallery guides, invitations, and signage, as assigned.
- Deliver production-ready documents to media and print partners, fulfilling necessary requirements and deadlines.
- Assist in art-directing photography and videography shoots as needed.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the Skirball's established mission and values.
- Exceptional skills and track record in website maintenance. Prior experience working with Joomla, Drupal, and Wordpress preferred. Experience with CMS transition a plus.
- In-depth understanding of website interface and architecture design and production. Keen eye for clean user interface implementation. Ability to recognize problems that arise with site usability and make immediate corrections.
- Strong command of CSS, HTML, UI/UX, Flash (Action Script), Dreamweaver, and SEO best practices.
- Required proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, as well as strong typographical and layout skills, photo manipulation, pre-press workflow, and the printing process.
- Experience using MailChimp (or other e-mail software) and understanding of social media techniques and platforms a plus.
- Some experience with tablet and mobile apps desirable.
- Ability to adhere to strict style standards.
- Experience supporting PR, branding, and online marketing and community engagement functions desirable.
- Positive, energetic, cooperative, can-do attitude. Self-starter approach to completing projects, as well as improving processes and procedures.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills, with a sincere commitment to establishing productive relationships, both within and beyond the institution.
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce high-quality materials in a busy, multi-sensory, and highly collaborative work environment.
- Superb organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong QA skills.
- College degree in graphic design and 1–2 years professional experience preferred.
Please send resume and cover letter, preferably by e-mail (PDFs preferred; no Word documents), as well as link to online portfolio, to the address below. Finalists will be required to take a skills test.
Human Resources Department
Re: Junior Designer
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049