About the Exhibition
More than fifty years ago, a television show called Star Trek broke ground with its daring vision—an inclusive cast of humans and interplanetary beings cooperating to overcome challenges as they explore the cosmos. With themes of heroism, optimism, equality, and humanity, the franchise has continued to pose questions about real life on Earth as much as in its fictional future worlds.
Encompassing more than a half-century of television series, spinoffs, and films, Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds sheds light on the enduring relevance of this pop-culture phenomenon. This fully immersive exhibition showcased Star Trek’s significant impact on culture, art, and technology through more than one hundred rare artifacts, set pieces, and props, plus state-of-the-art photo and video interactives.
- Set pieces from Star Trek: The Original Series, including the navigation console.
- Artifacts and props from the various Star Trek TV series and films, including an original series tricorder, communicator, and phaser; a Borg cube from the film Star Trek: First Contact; a Klingon disruptor pistol from Star Trek: The Next Generation; and tribbles from Star Trek: The Original Series.
- Spock’s tunic worn by Leonard Nimoy; Lt. Uhura’s dress worn by Nichelle Nichols; Khan garments past and present, including the open-chest tunic worn by Ricardo Montalbán and the costume worn by Benedict Cumberbatch in the 2013 reboot; Captain Picard’s uniform worn by Patrick Stewart; plus, a Borg costume, the alien Gorn, and more.
- Original scripts, concept art, storyboards, and production drawings.
- Spaceship filming models of the USS Enterprise and USS Excelsior.
™ and © 2022 CBS Studios Inc. © 2022 Paramount Pictures Corp. STAR TREK and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.
More to Explore
The exhibition and its related educational programs at the Skirball Cultural Center are made possible by generous support from the following donors:
Stephanie and Harold Bronson
Lori and Scott Cooper / Pegasus Squire
Turicchi Family Foundation
Additional support is provided by the following donor:
In Memory of Michael Piller by Sandra Piller