Revised: December 13, 2022
1. Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following categories and types of “Personal Information”:
- Contact Information: your first and last name, mailing address, email address, and phone number;
- Other identifying information: IP address, passwords and other security information for authentication and access;
- Financial Information: credit card, debit card and bank account information;
- Internet or other electronic activity: your browsing and click history, including information about how you navigate within our Site and Services and which elements of our Site and Services you use the most;
- Commercial information: products purchased or viewed on our Site; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitude.
2. How We Use Personal Information
We use your Personal Information for the following categories of use:
- Transactional Purposes: We use your contact information, financial information, and commercial information to:
- Receive, process, confirm, send and track your order, subscription or registration;
- Communicate with you about your order, subscription or registration; and
- Process any subscription or registration you make to one of our Services.
- Analytical Purposes: We use your other identifying information, internet activity and browsing history, commercial information, demographic information, and geolocation data to analyze preferences, trends and statistics.
- Marketing and Promotional Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, internet or other electronic activity, and inferences to:
- Inform you of our new products, services and offers;
- Provide you with targeted advertising;
- Run contests, promotions and sweepstakes,
- Provide you with our membership program; and
- Provide you with other information from and about our Company, including personalized marketing communications.
- Maintenance and Improvement of the Site and Services: We use your contact information, commercial information, and internet activity and browsing history to:
- Provide you with the Site and Services, including to send you alerts about your account;
- Handle your customer services requests; and
- Help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our stores, the Site, and the Services.
- Review and content creation purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, and audio and visual information to enable reviews of our products and to display content that you have created and allowed us to display on our Site and Services and on social media.
- Security and Fraud Prevention: We use your contact information, other identifying information, commercial information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, and inferences to protect the Site and services, our Company, and others and to prevent fraud, theft and misconduct.
3. Sources of Personal Information
We collect Personal Information from the following sources:
- We collect information directly from you. We collect contact and demographic information directly from you. We also collect financial information from you.
- We collect information from you passively. We collect internet or other electronic activity passively using tools like browser cookies. This activity is further described in the Cookies and Advertising and Online Tracking sections below.
4. Categories of Third Parties We Share Personal Information With
From time to time, we may establish a business relationship with other businesses whom we believe trustworthy and who have confirmed that their privacy practices are consistent with ours (“Service Providers”). For example, we may contract with Service Providers to provide certain services, such as hosting and maintenance, data storage and management, and marketing and promotions. We only provide our Service Providers with the information necessary for them to perform these services on our behalf. Each Service Provider must agree to use reasonable security procedures and practices, appropriate to the nature of the information involved, in order to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Service Providers are prohibited from using Personal Information other than as specified by us.
We may share Personal Information with businesses controlling, controlled by, or under common control with our Company.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement
We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose Personal Information and any other information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties if, in our discretion, we believe it is necessary or appropriate in order to respond to legal requests (including court orders and subpoenas), to protect the safety, property, or rights of our Company or of any third party, to prevent or stop any illegal, unethical, or legally actionable activity, or to comply with the law.
We use Google Analytics on the Site and Services to analyze how users use the Site and Services, and to provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
6. Advertising and Online Tracking
7. Managing Your Information Preferences
8. Be Careful When You Share Information with Others
Please be aware that whenever you share information on any public area of the Site or Services, that information may be accessed by others. In addition, please remember that when you share information in any other communications with third parties, that information may be passed along or made public by others. This means that anyone with access to such information can potentially use it for any purpose, including sending unsolicited communications.
We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the confidentiality and security of information transmitted to us. However, no data transmission over the Internet or other network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect information transmitted on or through the Site or Services, we cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Site or Services, and you do so at your own risk.
11. Children’s Privacy
The Site and Services are intended for users who are 13 years old or older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete such information from our records. California users under the age of 18 may request the removal of their content or information publicly posted on the Site or Services by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that most of the user content that appears on our Site or Services is stored and controlled by third party providers; thus, complete and comprehensive removal of the content may not be possible.
12. Processing in the United States
Please be aware that your Personal Information and communications may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, or country. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store all information in the United States. The laws in the United States may not be as protective of your privacy as those in your location. By using the Site or Services, you are agreeing to the collection, use, transfer, and disclosure of your Personal Information and communications will be governed by the applicable laws in the United States.
13. Notice to California Residents/Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may be able to opt out of the sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Please note that we do not currently share any of your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, but you can notify us of your option to opt out and we will keep a record of this in case our privacy practices change in the future. To exercise this right, please e-mail us at email@example.com and clearly state your request, including your name, mailing address, email address and phone number.
15. Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and Conditions
Revised: December 13, 2022
These Terms of Service contain an arbitration provision. Please review the Arbitration section for details.
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) govern your use of the Skirball Cultural Center (“the Skirball“) websites located at skirball.org and shop.skirball.org (collectively, the “Site”) and any other related services offered by the Skirball (“Services”). The Skirball (“we” or “us”) provides the Site and Services. “You” refers to you as a user of the Site or Services.
BY USING THE SITE OR SERVICES, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THESE TERMS. PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
You must be at least 13 years old to use the Site or the Services. If you are under the age of majority in your state of residence, a minor, your parent or legal guardian must agree to these Terms on your behalf and you may only access and use the Site and Services with permission from your parent or legal guardian.
2. Terms of Sale
Shipping: When you make a purchase on the Site (an “Order”), you will be required to pay applicable shipping and processing charges and fees (“Fees”), in accordance with our shipping policy which is available here: SHIPPING & RETURNS. Fees are intended to compensate us for any relevant costs of processing your Order; costs of handling and packing any products; and costs of delivering or providing the purchased products and services to you.
Inaccuracy Disclaimer: From time to time, there may be information on the Site that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, and availability. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies, or omissions and to change or update information at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your Order). If you do not wish to continue with your Order after pricing or other information has been corrected, please contact us right away and we will work with you to cancel or return your Order.
Order Returns and Refunds: Each Order is subject to our Return and Refund policies which are available here: SHIPPING & RETURNS, and which may be amended from time to time.
Special Offers: Occasionally we will offer special promotions to our customers that we refer to as “special offers.” This can include a gift with purchase, free shipping, member discounts, or other promotional activities associated with a product purchase. These offers may be for a limited time only, and may be available to you at the Skirball’s sole discretion.
3. Additional Terms
Some of our Services have additional terms and conditions (“Additional Terms”). Where Additional Terms apply to a Service, we will make them available for you to read through your use of that Service. By using that Service, you agree to the Additional Terms.
4. Acceptable Use of the Site and Services
You are responsible for your use of the Site and Services, and for any use of the Site or Services made using your account. Our goal is to create a positive, useful, and safe user experience. To promote this goal, we prohibit certain kinds of conduct that may be harmful to other users or to us. When you use the Site or Services, you may not:
- violate any law or regulation;
- violate, infringe, or misappropriate other people’s intellectual property, privacy, publicity, or other legal rights;
- post or share anything that is illegal, abusive, harassing, harmful to reputation, pornographic, indecent, profane, obscene, hateful, racist, or otherwise objectionable;
- send unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or commercial communications, such as spam;
- engage in spidering or harvesting, or participate in the use of software, including spyware, designed to collect data from the Site or Services;
- transmit any viruses or other computer instructions or technological means whose purpose is to disrupt, damage, or interfere with the use of computers or related systems;
- stalk, harass, or harm another individual;
- impersonate any person or entity or perform any other similar fraudulent activity, such as phishing;
- use any means to scrape or crawl any Web pages contained in the Site;
- use artificial intelligence, robots, or other form of automation where all or substantially all of the actions or posts from your account are not the result of a natural person;
- attempt to circumvent any technological measure implemented by us or any of our providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Site or Services;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer any of the software or other underlying code used to provide the Site or Services; or
- advocate, encourage, or assist any third party in doing any of the foregoing.
5. User Content
The Site and some of our Services allow you to upload, submit, store, send, or receive content and data (“User Content”). You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that User Content.
When you upload, submit, store, send, or receive User Content to or through the Site or Services, you give us permission to reproduce and use your User Content as follows: you grant to us and those we work with a license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as translations, adaptations, or other changes we make so that User Content works better with the Site and Services), publicly perform, publicly display, and distribute your User Content. This license is for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving the Site and Services, and to develop new Services. Our license to your User Content is non-exclusive, meaning you may use the User Content for your own purposes or let others use your User Content for their purposes. This license is fully-paid and royalty free, meaning we do not owe you anything else in connection with our use of your User Content. We may exercise our rights under this license anywhere in the world and in any media. Lastly, this license is perpetual, meaning that our rights under this license continue even after you stop using the Site and Services. In general, however, we will only need to use your User Content for as long as you choose to store it with us using the Site or Services.
You promise that:
- you own all rights to your User Content or, alternatively, that you have the right to give us the rights described above; and
- your User Content does not infringe the intellectual property rights, privacy rights, publicity rights, or other legal rights of any third party.
We may refuse to accept or transmit User Content for any reason. We may remove User Content from the Site or Services for any reason.
7. Copyright and Intellectual Property Policy
We respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement and terminate accounts of repeat infringers according to the process set out in the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please forward the following information to the Copyright Agent named below:
- Your address, telephone number, and email address.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- A description of where the alleged infringing material is located.
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by you, the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest.
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
For clarity, only copyright infringement notices should go to our Copyright Agent. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the requirements of this section your notice may not be valid.
If you believe the content that was removed (or to which access was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use such content, you may submit a counter-notice to the address listed above containing the following information:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, physical address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in which your physical address is located, or if your physical address is outside of the United States, then to the federal courts in Los Angeles, California, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
After we receive your counter-notification, we will forward it to the party who submitted the original claim of copyright infringement. Please note that when we forward the counter-notification, it includes your personal information. By submitting a counter-notification, you consent to having your information revealed in this way. We will not forward the counter-notification to any party other than the original claimant.
After we send out the counter-notification, the claimant must then notify us within 10 days that he or she has filed an action seeking a court order to restrain you from engaging in infringing activity relating to the content that was removed or disabled. If we receive such notification we will be unable to restore the material. If we do not receive such notification, we may reinstate the material.
10. Changes to the Site or Services
We enhance and update the Site and Services often. We may change or discontinue the Site or Services at any time, with or without notice to you.
We reserve the right to not provide the Site or Services to any person. We also reserve the right to terminate any user’s right to access the Site or Services at any time, in our discretion. If you violate any of these Terms, your permission to use the Site and Services automatically terminates.
12. Disclaimer and Limitations on Our Liability
YOU USE THE SITE AND SERVICES AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE SITE AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, OUR ORGANIZATION AND ITS TRUSTEES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, AFFILIATES, AGENTS, AND LICENSORS (“AFFILIATES”) DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, AND REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING THOSE RELATED TO MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THOSE ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE.
IN PARTICULAR, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, OUR ORGANIZATION AND ITS AFFILIATES MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF CONTENT AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE OR SERVICES, OR THE CONTENT OF ANY WEBSITES OR ONLINE SERVICES LINKED TO OR INTEGRATED WITH THE SITE OR SERVICES. OUR ORGANIZATION AND ITS AFFILIATES WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY: (A) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT; (b) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES; (c) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SERVERS OR OF ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION OR USER DATA; (d) ANY INTERRUPTION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE SITE OR SERVICES; (e) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED ON OR THROUGH THE SITE OR SERVICES BY ANY THIRD PARTY; OR (f) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED OR SHARED THROUGH THE SITE OR SERVICES.
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY MATERIAL OR INFORMATION DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE ARISING FROM DOING SO. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM US OR THROUGH THE SITE OR SERVICES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, OR DATA) OR FOR THE COST OF OBTAINING SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS, HOWEVER CAUSED, WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY ARISES FROM ANY CLAIM BASED UPON CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT WE’VE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, OUR TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY UNDER THESE TERMS, FROM ALL CAUSES OF ACTION AND ALL THEORIES OF LIABILITY, WILL BE LIMITED TO AND WILL NOT EXCEED THE FEES YOU HAVE ACTUALLY PAID US DURING THE TWELVE (12) MONTHS PRECEDING THE CLAIM GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY.
You understand and agree that we have set our prices and entered into these Terms with you in reliance upon the limitations of liability set forth in these Terms, which allocate risk between us and form the basis of a bargain between the parties.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless our organization and its Affiliates from and against any and all claims, costs, proceedings, demands, losses, damages, and expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorney’s fees and legal costs) of any kind or nature, arising from or relating to, any actual or alleged breach of these Terms by you or anyone using your account. If we assume the defense of such a matter, you will reasonably cooperate with us in such defense.
14. Arbitration Agreement & Waiver of Certain Rights
Except as set forth below, you and we agree that we will resolve any disputes between us (including any disputes between you and a third-party agent of ours) through binding and final arbitration instead of through court proceedings. You and we hereby waive any right to a jury trial of any Claim (defined below). All controversies, claims, counterclaims, or other disputes arising between you and us or you and a third-party agent of ours (each a “Claim”) shall be submitted for binding arbitration in accordance with the Rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA Rules”). The arbitration will be heard and determined by a single arbitrator. The arbitrator's decision in any such arbitration will be final and binding upon the parties and may be enforced in any court of competent jurisdiction. You and we agree that the arbitration proceedings will be kept confidential and that the existence of the proceeding and any element of it (including, without limitation, any pleadings, briefs or other documents submitted or exchanged and any testimony or other oral submissions and awards) will not be disclosed beyond the arbitration proceedings, except as may lawfully be required in judicial proceedings relating to the arbitration, by applicable disclosure rules and regulations of securities regulatory authorities or other governmental agencies, or as specifically permitted by state law. The Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law apply to this agreement. However, the Arbitrator, and not any federal, state, or local court or agency, shall have the exclusive authority to resolve any dispute relating to the interpretation, applicability, enforceability, or formation of this Agreement including, but not limited to, a claim that all or any part of this Agreement is void or voidable.
If you demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, we will pay as much of the administrative costs and arbitrator's fees required for the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the cost of the arbitration from being prohibitive. In the final award, the arbitrator may apportion the costs of arbitration and the compensation of the arbitrator among the parties in such amounts as the arbitrator deems appropriate.
This arbitration agreement does not preclude either party from seeking action by federal, state, or local government agencies. You and we also have the right to bring qualifying claims in small claims court. In addition, you and we retain the right to apply to any court of competent jurisdiction for provisional relief, including pre-arbitral attachments or preliminary injunctions, and any such request shall not be deemed incompatible with these Terms, nor a waiver of the right to have disputes submitted to arbitration as provided in these Terms.
Neither you nor we may act as a class representative or private attorney general, nor participate as a member of a class of claimants, with respect to any Claim. Claims may not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis. The arbitrator can decide only your and/or our individual Claims. The arbitrator may not consolidate or join the claims of other persons or parties who may be similarly situated. The arbitrator may award in the arbitration the same damages or other relief available under applicable law, including injunctive and declaratory relief, as if the action were brought in court on an individual basis. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the foregoing or herein, the arbitrator may not issue a “public injunction” and any such “public injunction” may be awarded only by a federal or state court. If either party seeks a “public injunction,” all other claims and prayers for relief must be adjudicated in arbitration first and any prayer or claim for a “public injunction” in federal or state court stayed until the arbitration is completed, after which the federal or state court can adjudicate the party’s claim or prayer for “public injunctive relief.” In doing so, the federal or state court is bound under principles of claim or issue preclusion by the decision of the arbitrator.
If any provision of this Section is found to be invalid or unenforceable, then that specific provision shall be of no force and effect and shall be severed, but the remainder of this Section shall continue in full force and effect. No waiver of any provision of this Section of the Terms will be effective or enforceable unless recorded in a writing signed by the party waiving such a right or requirement. Such a waiver shall not waive or affect any other portion of these Terms. This Section of the Terms will survive the termination of your relationship with us.
THIS SECTION LIMITS CERTAIN RIGHTS, INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO MAINTAIN A COURT ACTION, THE RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL, THE RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY FORM OF CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE CLAIM, THE RIGHT TO ENGAGE IN DISCOVERY EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN AAA RULES, AND THE RIGHT TO CERTAIN REMEDIES AND FORMS OF RELIEF. OTHER RIGHTS THAT YOU OR WE WOULD HAVE IN COURT ALSO MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ARBITRATION.
15. Other Provisions
Under no circumstances will we be held liable for any delay or failure in performance due in whole or in part to any acts of nature or other causes beyond our reasonable control.
These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any conflict of laws rules or provisions.
You agree that any action of whatever nature arising from or relating to these Terms, the Site, or Services will be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Los Angeles, California. You consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of any such action.
If any provision of these Terms is found to be unlawful or unenforceable, then that provision will be deemed severable from these Terms and will not affect the enforceability of any other provisions.
The failure by us to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not prevent us from enforcing such right or provision in the future.
We may assign our rights and obligations under these Terms, including in connection with a merger, acquisition, sale of assets or equity, or by operation of law.
16. Changes to these Terms
From time to time, we may change these Terms. If we change these Terms, we will give you notice by posting the revised Terms on the Site. Those changes will go into effect on the Revision Date shown in the revised Terms. By continuing to use the Site or Services, you are agreeing to the revised Terms.
Please print a copy of these Terms for you records and PLEASE check the Site frequently for any changes to these Terms.