As part of its mission, the Skirball Cultural Center strives to welcome people of all communities and generations to its exhibitions and public programs. The ever-expanding list of amenities and services outlined below helps the Skirball to achieve this mission.
- Parking—ADA accessible parking is located in the South Parking garage. The North and East Parking garages also include a limited number of ADA accessible spaces.
- Entrances—Power-assist doors are located at all main entrances.
- Galleries, the museum store, the cafe, and program facilities—All Museum galleries (including Noah’s Ark at the Skirball™), Audrey’s Museum Store, Zeidler’s Café, and other indoor and outdoor spaces at the Skirball are wheelchair accessible. Certified service animals are welcome; and the use of motorized wheelchairs is permitted.
- Restrooms—All public restrooms are wheelchair accessible, and most restrooms include baby changing stations.
- Family areas—Nursing mothers are welcome to use the family room located on the lower level of the main lobby. Families with very young children are also invited to read, play, and relax in the Toddler Corner within the Family Art Studio.
Programming—On select Fridays, the Skirball welcomes all visitors to enjoy a Noah’s Ark experience specially designed for guests with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), sensory processing differences, and other developmental disabilities. On those days, between 12:00 and 1:30 p.m., expect a reduced number of visitors, quieter galleries, and relaxed music and story times. Noise-reduction headphones, sensory backpacks, and lanterns for low-light sensitivity are available to borrow. This spring, Sensory Friendly Fridays will take place April 6, 13, 20, and 27 and May 4, 11, 18, and 25. Buy/reserve tickets in advance for those days by selecting the 12:00 or 12:30 p.m. admission time on the Noah’s Ark ticketing webpage.
Available for Check-Out
- Wheelchairs—A limited number of wheelchairs are available for check-out, on a first-come, first-served basis, at the security desk in the main lobby and at the security kiosk in the North Parking garage. If you are parking in the East Parking garage and require a wheelchair, please call (310) 440-4676 in advance so that a security guard may be ready to assist you upon your arrival. In order to check out a wheelchair, you must leave an ID with the security guard.
- Assisted listening devices—Built-in and portable assisted listening devices are available during public programs. Please inquire with the security guard upon your arrival for additional information. In order to check out a device, you must leave an ID with the security guard.
- Strollers—A limited number of strollers are available for check-out, on a first-come, first-served basis, at the security desk in the main lobby. In order to check out a stroller, you must leave an ID with the security guard.
- Lockers—Visitors may secure personal items in lockers, located on the lower level of the main lobby. Please see the security guard in the main lobby for assistance.
- Sensory backpacks—Visitors to Noah’s Ark may check out sensory backpacks. These backpacks hold noise dampening headphones, stims, fidgets, puzzles, and fine motor manipulatives that provide children something to touch, fidget, or play with in stressful moments. Other calming items available are a weighted blanket and vest to help your child feel safe, secure, and grounded during their visit. Please ask an educator or volunteer inside of Noah’s Ark to borrow a backpack.
- Noise-canceling headphones and earplugs—Visitors with small children and babies may check out noise-cancelling headphones for use during Sunset Concerts (at a table in front of the Family Room in Taper Courtyard) and during the Family Amphitheater Performances (at a table in Ziegler Amphitheater). Earplugs are available for adult visitors.
Available to Download
- An Ark for All—Prepare for your visit to Noah’s Ark by downloading this mobile app, developed specially for families with developmental disabilities and young children. In the app, you'll be able to learn about your Noah's Ark visit, create your own schedule for the day, play a Noah's Ark memory game, use the sensory friendly map, and read about insider tips. Available for FREE in the App Store and on Google Play.