Skirball docents connect young people to one another, to history, and to the world around us through interactive experiences rooted in social justice that cultivate empathy and civic engagement.
Want to get in on the action? Join the Skirball Docent Corps!
The Skirball Cultural Center seeks a diverse group of dynamic, dedicated individuals from all cultural and religious backgrounds to join the Skirball's volunteer Docent Corps. Incoming docents are trained to facilitate weekday morning school programs in gallery and classroom settings, work with students and teachers, and serve as ambassadors for the institution and its programs. After three years of facilitating school tours, docents have the opportunity to train on presenting adult tours.
In addition to facilitating tours, docents participate in regularly scheduled classes tied to the Skirball mission and special exhibitions, take field trips together, and participate in the annual Hanukkah Brunch for docents as well as other celebrations.
Docents must be able to:
- Commit to a minimum of four weekday mornings per month.
- Be actively engaged for three hours of touring.
- Participate in set-up and take-down of tour materials.
- Delight in working with students.
- Attend all docent class trainings.
- Be open to learning about new educational approaches and techniques.
- Be flexible and collaborative with other facilitators.
How to Apply
Applications are closed for the 2018–2019 school year. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the docent program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.